Inspiration

Just for the record, Guy Fieri drives me crazy.  He's one of those small doses people for me.  However, with that said, I must also admit that I freakin' LOVE "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."  Every time I watch this show, I get inspired to make something.  And usually, it comes out fairly edible.  I can remember one of the first times I ever watched it, he was interviewing someone making smoked tomato gravy.  The more I thought about that, the more I needed to try to make it.  The very next day, I dragged out my Emeril cast iron, stove top smoker, and smoked a few halved roma tomatoes and sliced Vidalia onions.  Instead of making gravy with them, I pureed some of them and used the puree to make grits.  I can honestly say those smoked tomato grits were one of the best things I've ever made.  And the leftover tomatoes were chopped and used to make smoked tomato salsa- that didn't suck, either.

I'm sitting here watching it right now, and he's watching some chic make a cinnamon roll, except instead of sweet, she's making it savory, with sausage and mushrooms.  Sorta kinda like a stromboli-ish thing.  I'm telling you right now, I'm making something like that tomorrow morning.  Stay tuned for a post about it!

Comments

Lisanne said…
I like that show too, but Guy's hair drives me nuts. I keep waiting for it to break off and shatter into a 1,000 pieces during any episode. He gives new meaning to "over processed". The smoked tomato experiment sounds wonderful!!!! Yum!!!!!!!!

Popular Posts