Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers

This meal is a perfect example of how I tend to cook.

According to my husband, I am a digital hoarder- and I've come to believe he's right.

I have thousands of things pinned on Pinterest- the vast majority of these pins are food related. I could cook a recipe a day until the day I die, and I still wouldn't get through all those pins.

Most afternoons I come home from school and take off my shoes. Then I grab my iPad and head to the couch to peruse my Pinterest boards to find an idea for supper.

Because my garden is producing a plethora of poblano peppers right now, I've been collecting recipes to use up our bumper crop. Today, I found a recipe for stuffed peppers- and I had all the ingredients!  So I jumped up, closed my iPad, ran to the kitchen, and did what I wanted to do. And it was pretty much entirely different from the recipe. Because... Creativity!

Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers

4 Poblano Peppers
1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup frozen corn
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup red or green salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon chile powder

Sour cream, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro are all optional garnishes

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Using a paring knife, cut a rectangle out of the side of each pepper, and remove the seeds. Reserve the rectangles, chop them up and mix them in with the filling ingredients. They should look like delicious little canoes when you're done. Line a cookie sheet with foil, spray it with cooking spray, and line your peppers up on the tray.

Mix together the chicken, cream cheese, corn, lime juice, salsa, chile powder, and cheddar cheese in a bowl.  Spoon the mixture into each pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, or until peppers are soft and stuffing is browned.

Garnish however you want. I served these with tortilla chips, but rice and/or beans would be scrumptious!

Note:  I had about 1/2 cup of filling left. You could totally wrap it in a tortilla and take it to work for lunch. I choose to break out a bag of tortilla chips and eat all of the leftover filling in front of my kitchen sink. You are the cook- do whatever floats your boat!

Comments

Popular Posts