Pasta in the Instant Pot

Continuing my streak of amazing suppers in my Instant Pot, tonight I offer you pasta!

So I read several different recipes for spaghetti in the Instant Pot.  They seemed fairly formulaic, and most used jarred pasta sauce (which I never have around).

So armed with some ratios, canned tomatoes and penne, I set out to make supper.

Was this perfect?  No.  Was it good? Yes. Will I do it differently next time? Yes (but I never really do anything the same way twice).

For the sake of posterity, I will call this recipe 3 Cheese Mushroom Pasta.

3 Cheese Mushroom Pasta

1/2 box of penne pasta (you could also use regular spaghetti noodles, I just didn't have any)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 large cremini mushrooms, sliced
28oz (2 14.5oz cans) fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups water or broth
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs basil
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella
1/4 cup finely shredded asiago or Romano or Parmesan

Make sure the silicone ring is in the lid.  Make sure the liner is in the pot.  Turn the pot on sauté. After it heats up a bit, add the olive oil, onion, garlic powder, mushrooms, and herb sprigs.  Stir them around until the onions are soft and translucent.  Add the fire roasted tomatoes and water, then dump in the pasta.  Poke pasta pieces down until they are covered, but do not stir them in.  Season with salt and pepper, but the feta will add some salt at the end, so don't over season now.

Hit the cancel button on the pot and then hit manual.  Set the time for 11 minutes.  While the pot is coming to pressure, shred your cheeses.  After the pot beeps, immediately release the pressure.  This will take a while.  Don't get scared, I promise the pot won't launch off your counter.

Open the pot and stir the pasta.  It should be just about perfect.  Stir in the 3 cheeses and let it sit about 5 minutes.  Serve with garlic bread.

What would I do differently next time?  I would add more fresh herbs at the end.  I might stir in half a block of cream cheese after it cooks- the sauce was a little too thin- maybe the cream cheese would tighten it up a bit.

Comments

Popular Posts