The Fresh Tortilla Company

One of the things I gripe about here in Alamosa is our lack of options for dining out. I know this isn't a huge problem for us, because I enjoy cooking. But I also enjoy eating out (especially cuisines I'm not equipped well enough to cook at home).

So you can imagine my joy about the 2 new restaurants that have opened here in the last month or two.

I already wrote my piece about the Thai House. Now I'll bend your ears about the Fresh Tortilla Company.

I'm assuming this is a chain outfit. I'm not sure why I assume this- other than the way the menu looks. The only way we knew it was there was because Dev was over having copies made at the office supply store down the street, and he was accosted in the parking lot by some young chics waving menus in his face. I guess in a college town, this is effective advertising...well I know it was because we ate there that night... :) I got sucked in by the promise of a free churro with the purchase of any meal. Damn those churros!

The Fresh Tortilla Company is located on Main Street, across from the TSJC campus.

Anyhoo, we ordered a "Big Ass Burito" combo (their signature item) and made sure we got our free churro.

I am going to try to be as diplomatic about this as possible. The meal had high points and low points. Let's start with the high points.

The mild pico de gallo was nice and fresh. It was a bit spicy, but pico de gallo is supposed to be that way. The chips were made from fresh flour tortillas and baked. I liked that because they were super crispy and I didn't feel as guilty eating them.

The rest of the meal was a low point. The "Big Ass Burrito" did taste fresh, but it was bland. The cilantro rice had no flavor at all...neither did the pinto beans. I ordered it with grilled chicken, but I don't remember anything about it. It didn't even really taste like chicken.

And please, don't get me started on that churro! It was a disgrace to the art of churro making. It was unbelievably tough and had no flavor at all. I bet it was sitting under a heat lamp at least half an hour.

Now here's my biggest dig...

If you can't make a decent burrito in Alamosa, please go home. There are at least 20 other places I can go and get a really good burrito and really good salsa and a mean churro. To be fair, they also serve tacos, but I didn't try them. I suppose I should try them before I completely pan the place. I'll get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

I'm not sure the Fresh Tortilla Company will last long. They either need to up the flavor quotient or switch to selling burgers.

Comments

brooks1986 said…
I have not heard anything good about this restaurant...and you're right, there are a dozen places in Alamosa where one can get a good burrito. I've heard that there is also a new burger/sandwich place that recently opened in town. Don't know what it's called but it's located on State St., south of Main, between the shoe repair shop and Papers of Distinction. Have you heard of it? I've heard that it is very good! There's also a new restaurant on 285, south of town & across from the MV Co-op station (formerly Blanca's Fiesta) called Claudina's. It just opened over the weekend and I haven't heard anything about it yet. Seems odd that so many new restaurants are opening up in spite of the economic picture.
Mimi said…
I have heard about the new sandwich shop- but I haven't been there. Hopefully I'll make it to at least one of the new places this weekend.
Anonymous said…
What about the Thai House on main street in Alamosa? The food is incredible and the service and atmosphere very good.
Mimi said…
I agree. I reviewed it in a separate post!

Popular Posts