The Thai House

We have a new restaurant here in town called the Thai House. Dev and I visited one of the first nights (if not the first night) it was open. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me, so I don't have any pics- but when I go back (and I will)- there will be photo documentation.

The Thai House is located on Main Street, in the same block and on the same side of the street as Milagros.

One of the owners greated us when we walked in. He took us up to the front, but then reconsidered because they were working on their sign out front and the door would be opening and closing frequently (and it was cold outside). I thought that was very nice.

Because I am a curious person, and because I had to get the scoop on this place, I asked the man who seated us who the owner was. He told us he was one of the owners, along with his business partner. Apparently the guy I talked to is a local. He and his business partner own (or owned) several other Thai restaurants in Kansas. He speaks Thai. The cooks and the waitstaff are all Thai. Sounds good to me...sometimes it pays to snoop around a little and ask questions.

Dev ordered Jasmine Tea with his meal. I just had water. After perusing the extensive menu (and they have a separate, equally huge vegetarian menu), I narrowed the appetizers down to a combo plate of spring rolls and calamari. We decided on the calamari. Dev ordered duck with a garlic sauce, and I ordered the Pad Thai with shrimp. I figured if this place can't do a decent Pad Thai, they need to take the shingle down and go home.

The calamari was perfectly fried and served with a VERY SPICY red dipping sauce. When a Thai place says something is hot- BELIEVE THEM...they know what they are talking about.

Our entrees arrived soon after. Dev's duck was served with stir fried veggies (I believe I saw some baby bok choy, but I could be wrong) and steamed rice. I tasted the duck and it was perfectly cooked.

My Pad Thai was really, really good, although the shrimp were a tad overcooked for my taste. It had all the appropriate garnishes (lots of fresh cilantro, crushed peanuts, etc.) and tasted very fresh. I had ordered mine mild, because although I like spicy food, I wasn't sure what the heat levels were like here, and I didn't want a painful dinner. Next time I'll order it medium spicy. Everything on the menu can be prepared to your desired level of heat.

I guess if I had to point out a weakness, it would be the prices. But, having said that, fresh ingredients are expensive, as are decent cooks. And the portions were huge (we both took doggie bags and got additional meals out of the deal). My point is, I doubt we can afford to be weekly regulars, but at the very least we can be monthly and special occasion regulars.

Everyone should drop what they're doing and run on over there right now. They also serve lunch, I believe, which might be a more economical option.

Comments

Popular Posts