Dinner Last Night- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla

This dinner was a triumph over one of my biggest weaknesses when Dev is out of town- junk food.  I really wanted to order pizza and be done with it.  But a small voice inside me said "Don't do it."  I decided to make due with what I had.  And to be honest- it turned out to be one of the best quesadillas I've ever had.

I heated my small non-stick skillet over medium heat and added one large sliced shallot.  I let it caramelize for about 5 minutes, then chopped up the meat from on  roasted chicken leg quarter and added it to the carmelizing shallot.  I let those go for 5 more minutes, then dumped in about 1/8 a cup of bbq sauce (use whatever you have- I had Sweet Baby Ray's Spicy) and the juice of half a lemon.  I turned the heat on low and walked away.  Actually- "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" was coming on and I like that show.  I let it sit and slowly bubble for probably 45 minutes.  Do you have to do that?  No.  Am I glad I did it?  Yes.  The bbq sauce got reduced and glazed the pieces of chicken.  There were little bits of crunchy, charred sauce on the edges.  Yum.

I took one 6" flour tortilla and put it in my cast iron skillet with already heated olive oil.  I put the quesadilla on the bottom of the skillet and sprinkled on a fair amount of grated mozzarella cheese.  I put the chicken mixture on that, and finished with more grated cheese.  I cooked it over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then flipped it and let it go until the cheese on the other side was melted.

I plated it up with half a sliced avocado.  The combination of the sweet, spicy, crunchy meat and tortilla with the creamy, cold avocado was life-changing.  Seriously- make this soon!

Comments

Popular Posts