Confessions of a Compulsive Dipper...and other thoughts

I am a dip person- my whole life. As a child, I remember my mom making that old onion dip recipe where you just dump the package of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix into a carton of sour cream. It never lasted more than a day at our house. I also remember a trip to Charlotte a few years back...Di and I had gone there to visit her sister, Suzanne. That Saturday night, we decided we were going to spend our evening eating our favorite junk food, drinking red wine and doing puzzles. My choices included a tub of Dean's french onion dip and a bag of potato chips. Other choices included fritos and chocolate covered graham crackers. I was not allowed to choose the wine, because I am not especially good at it. I, apparently, have taste for crap when it comes to wine. Anyway- we went home with our junk food treasures, drank a bunch of red wine, and completed a Chipendale's puzzle. There's a whole other story in there. After we were all rather buzzed, we couldn't get the chest pieces on the puzzle figured out. One of us (I honestly don't remember who) observed that if we could have located the nipples, this would have been much easier.
Back to dip....
My childhood love of dip has blossomed into an adult sized obsession with condiments. My favorite foods tend to be items that have associated sauces or other condiments. Take for example baked potatoes. I remember when I was in college, my friends and I (Di is implicated in this story as well) would go to Wendy's (this was in the heyday of the Wendy's "Superbar.") and order baked potatoes. I would load mine with butter, sour cream, cheese, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, bacon, whatever would fit. I would then sit down and eat until I hit potato, then go back up and load her up again. I like eggs benedict- mainly because of the hollandaise sauce. I put Vidalia onion hot sauce on my scrambled eggs. I will eat salsa on just about anything.
You get the idea.
This weekend was pretty low key for Dev and I. We didn't really do much (although I am going to the boyscout pine car derby this afternoon- I'll post pics). So I had plenty of opportunities to snack. Friday afternoon I made a batch of dip with what I had on hand (light sour cream, greek seasoning, worchestershire sauce, hot sauce) and attacked a bag of salt and cracked black pepper potato chips. I also had some salsa that my friend Mel made for me. I am going to attempt to make her give me the recipe because this stuff is like crack. It has just enough heat to make you want a beer, but not so much that you are in pain.
I am also planning to use up the last of my smoked salmon stash in the freezer to make some salmon cream cheese spread for bagels this week. I won't be able to get back over the mountains to get more salmon until late spring. So it better be good... :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow that was quite a fun trip down dip memory lane. :) hehe - I forgot about the Superbar - we probably singlehandedly bankrupt the SuperBar idea for Wendy's, but hey, we were poor college students!

Popular Posts