Snowy Snowy Day




So today has been a weird day.
I got to school just before 7:30 and immediately began cutting up the veggies fortoday's "Green Foods" lesson. I was using an incredibly dull, useless knife to cut 2 limes into 10 wedges each (difficult to do even with a good knife), cut 2 cucumbers into 20 lengths and quarter 5 apples.
The bell rang for the kids to pile in at 8:10. At about 8:15, the office called to pull me from the classroom to administer standardized testing. That meant no green foods lesson, cuz I wouldn't be in the room. So- all green veggies went back in the fridge and I reported to the office. It didn't seem to matter to anyone that I had never administered this particular test (or at least not the whole thing), and it is done using a palm pilot (so there is a techy part to it). I just watched someone do it once and jumped in to do my best.
The rest of the school day continued on that rather harried path. There was no recess because of the weather, so every kid in the school came to the gym to watch 15 minutes of a video. I don't know how many of you have small children, but keeping them inside all day, and then making them spend their 15 minutes of free time quietly watching a video is a recipe for disaster. I felt so sorry for them. And they should have felt sorry for me, because between testing and lunch recess duty, I didn't really get a lunch, or much of a break at all. Actually- it wouldn't have been so bad, had everyone in the building not been so grouchy today. I guess the combination of snow, testing and a weird schedule had everyone on edge.
I didn't really enjoy this snowy day as much as I would have liked to, but hopefully we'll get another one soon with a little less stress!!!

Comments

Popular Posts