Braised Chicken with Button Mushrooms

In spite of my oven drama this morning, I decided to soldier on and fix Easter dinner. I just needed to do it without an oven.

Instead of roasted chicken, I looked up a recipe for braised chicken. I was going to use Alice Waters' recipe, but I wanted to try something different. I consulted my usual two favorite recipe sites- foodtv.com and allrecipes.com.

I chose "Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms"- an Emeril recipe. Here is the recipe- I noted my changes.

Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms
by Emeril Lagasse

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 chicken thighs- I used a whole cut up chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
16 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups dark chicken stock- I used 2 cups stock plus about a cup of white wine
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
4 cups steamed white rice- I made mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Set a 10-inch, straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side down in the pan and sear until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.



Turn the chicken over and sear on the second side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the butter and mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook, stirring often to make a light brown roux, about 4 to 5 minutes.



Add the tomato paste, stock and rosemary to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.



Return the chicken to the pan, skin side down and cook the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until the meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.



I served the chicken over mashed potatoes and added some simmered asparagus.



I would have had a Guinness cheesecake for dessert,if my oven hadn't crapped out on me today. Here's the beautiful crust I made before I saw the flames.....



Anyway, dinner was really good, as is evidenced by this last pic (Dev took it of his plate)....

Comments

Mimi said…
Thanks! It was pretty good, and it gets even better when it festers overnight in the fridge!

Popular Posts