A Soggy Savannah Supper

I have already posted about the weather we've been having here lately. Every afternoon around 4pm, clouds gather and it storms. Saturday there was flooding all over the place.

Di and I left her house in search of lunch, and on the way home got caught in a pretty violent afternoon storm. We decided to stop at some friends' house since they were on vacation, we had a key, and it was raining so hard we couldn't see out the windshield.

We had food from a Savannah restaurant called Zunzi's. I forgot to take pics of our food, but it was AMAZING. I ordered the grilled salmon on a baguette, and Di ordered the felafel. We halved the sandwiches so we could taste both. Not only was it a ton of food and very inexpensive- it was also some of the best takeout I've EVER had. The felafel was made on site (none of the dry mix foolishness) and the sauces were perfect. My salmon was moist and went perfectly with the light sauce and chewy french bread.

Anyhoo- back to the weather...

We ate our lunch at our friends' house, thinking it would stop storming soon and the water would drain off the streets.

Well, it did stop storming, but the water had no intention of going anywhere fast. We eventually abandoned the idea of driving home at all, and walked to Di's house (about a mile and a half).

Here are some pics I snapped along the way...






As you can see, it was a bit wet.

After walking/wading home, we discovered we had no power. We played a few rounds of progressive rummy(sp) before our brains were fried (plus it was pretty dark). Suzanne got home from work around 5pm, so we decided to head downtown to eat dinner at Vinnie Van Go-Go's (the best pizza joint on the planet).

While waiting for our table (in the rain), we noticed some teeny little birdies begging for food out in City Market...



A rainbow appeared in the sky and I tried to capture it in a pic, but it doesn't really show up:



First thing out of the gate, I ordered a Spodee- a rot gut red wine mixed with Sprite. I know it sounds awful, but it really matches the surroundings. Here is a pic of us showing some love to the spodee...



I then ordered my slice- mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and ricotta cheese. The slices are HUGE and I ate every crumb of it.



As we were eating, I noticed a sign on the back of the bar taps that sums up the way I feel about Vinnie's....

Comments

Popular Posts