Cavalcade of Fun 2009- Part the First


The Cavalcade of Fun for 2009 will be split into 2 parts. The first part was Di's visit to Colorado. The second part will be my returning home the last two weeks of July.

Part the First was too short and way too busy. But that's what happens when you plan a wedding right at the beginning of the visit. Even though I think it somewhat compromised the visit for Di, I am ever so grateful to have had her here to stand next to me at my wedding. Here's a shot of the wedding party...



Poor Diane, she didn't even get her own room the second night she was here. Devin's family was here for the wedding, so his parents got the guest room, and Diane and Shanda (Dev's sister) slept in the living room- one on the couch and the other on a camping cot.

The morning after the wedding, everyone was up and out the door. Dev's family headed back to Montrose, and a little later, Dev, Diane and I headed out the door to take the scenic route to Montrose- pausing for some tourist moments along the way.

Here's Diane at the top of Slumgullion Pass...



We stopped and took a look at the Black Canyon on the way into Montrose.

The next morning we set out for Colorado National Monument. Di wanted to do some hiking and see some scenery. We did a small hike, but boy did she see some scenery. I know she was close to puking a few times on some of the twisty canyon roads. Sometimes I forget what it's like to see things like that for the first time.

Here's a pic of me at the Monument, taking a quick power nap on a rock...



Dev's parents had a get together to celebrate both our wedding and Father's Day, so Diane and I whipped up a low country boil to feed the masses. I think everyone enjoyed it. I know we did.



A hummingbird even showed up for the party and started building a next on top of an extension cord on Dev's parents' patio.

The next morning (Sunday)Dev, Diane and I headed back for Alamosa, to try and relax and enjoy the last day of her stay. That evening we headed over to Cole Park to enjoy an outdoor concert by "Indian Nickel." The weather was beautiful. We managed to kick back and relax for a couple of hours. Here's a shot of Diane relaxing at the concert...



The next day, Di and Devin headed out for a short hike at Penitente Canyon. I stayed home and got some blogging and cooking done. That night was the only night we really got to cook together on this first half of the Cavalcade of Fun. We made a yummie dinner of grilled chicken, zucchini cakes, and herb focacchia. Needless to say, we never go hungry.

Unfortunately, Diane had to catch a plane back to Savannah the next morning, so we got up early and headed out to Colorado Springs.

I was sorry to see her go, but I also know that Part the Second of the Cavalcade of Fun 2009 will be even better than the first. So stay tuned for more cooking and fun with Diane and Mimi!

Diane also posted on her blog about the visit, so mosey on over there and check out her account.

Comments

Popular Posts