Carrot Cake!!!!!!



I made my very first ever from scratch homemade cake at 7,500 feet above sea level today. I have made many homemade cakes before, but that was back home in Savannah, which is practically 2 feet below sea level.

After many dismal failures (including box mixes) I have finally made a cake from scratch that turned out decent. No- better than decent. I think this is the best cake I've ever made. No joke.

It all started when my fried Emmy posted on her blog about receiving as a gift from her hubby, a copy of "The Joy of Cooking." By the way, you should go read her blog. She is nauseatingly multi-talented. She cooks and knits beautifully, as well as a bunch of other stuff I learn about every freakin' time I read her blog. So go over to her blog right now.

Anyhoo...she read the high altitude instructions and cranked out a beautiful red velvet cake that made me drool. After reading that, I decided it was time to stop being a wuss about baking at high altitude and try again.

So after the breakfast dishes were cleared, I got out my pencil and my parchment paper and my baking pans and set to it.



After oiling and flouring the pans, then putting in the parchment circles, I began the batter.

I decided to use a carrot cake recipe from my home church's cookbook. It is Carrot Cake by Mrs. Ikey Robinson. Here's the recipe (with the changes for high altitude).

Miss Ikey's Carrot Cake

1 3/4 cup sugar, minus 3 tablespoons
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 4 tablespoons
5 unbeaten eggs (original recipe called for 4)
2 cups all purpose flour plus 4 tablespoons
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cup grated carrots (hand grated- Mom says it makes a difference)
1/2 cup pecans

Blend sugar and oil until creamy. Add eggs (one at a time- but don't over beat them) and cream well. Sift flour, soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; add to first mixture. Fold in vanilla, carrots and nuts.

Pour into 3 prepared 8 inch round baking pans and bake at 375 (original recipe said 350) for 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

16 ounces powdered sugar
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream all ingredients together.

Here are the cakes all done and cooling...waiting for their hot date with the Cream Cheese Frosting...



And here is the cake after I finished it. I can't believe how well it turned out.



Here's a top view...



And here's what it looked like after we dug in...



Maybe next I'll try my hand at the red velvet..... who knows??

Comments

Emmy Lou said…
It's beautiful!!!!
Anonymous said…
Wow, what a fabulous cake! It looks so delicious. Emmy is a great cook - her Balsamic Red Pepper Jelly is so good.

Popular Posts