Long Time No See...And Taco Salad

I know. It's been ages since I wrote a real blog post.

The trouble is, I just haven't been feeling very inspired lately. We've had lots of issues to deal with lately, and the last thing I feel like doing at the end of the day is sitting down to write about it.

That's not normal. The Mimi I know loves to blog. She loves to blabber on and on about things. And she loves to cook.

But even cooking lost its therapeutic value for me. The only thing in which I have taken solace is knitting. And I'm not even very good at that.

But, things are looking up, and hopefully I'll get back in the saddle sometime soon.

I've been catching up on my blog reading and I've made a list of recipes I'd like to try in the near future.... From "Closet Cooking," I'd like to try the Meyer Lemon Bars and the Chocolate Stout Cake. I also found a Jalapeno Popper Dip on some blog, and a Blueberry Crumb Cake recipe at "Fundamentally Flawed."

I did cook a really good dinner tonight, but didn't take pics. I had been craving a taco salad, but because of my ever heightening blood pressure, I have been avoiding all fast food and most prepackaged food because of the sodium.

I have these taco salad shell molds I inherited from my father's cooking gadget collection, so I very lightly brushed 2 flour tortillas with sun dried tomato oil and fit them into the molds. I also cut 8 small corn tortillas into quarters and brushed the quarters with the same oil. The shells and chips went into a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes (until they were slightly brown and achingly crispy). Then I chopped a small onion, threw it in my biggest skillet. After it had softened, I added a pound of ground turkey, a few glugs of beer, cumin, coriander, home made chile powder, chipotle chile powder, oregano and fresh cilantro. When the liquid had cooked out and the turkey was done, I added a can of black beans (drained and rinsed WELL), some frozen white corn, chopped portabello mushroom caps and about a tablespoon of organic ketchup. When the shells were done I put some of the meat mixture on the bottom, then a little shredded sharp cheddar, some halved grape tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped raw cabbage and ice berg lettuce. Then, I added some home made southwest ranch salad dressing I had in the fridge. I served a few of the salt free fresh tortilla chips on the side. A pretty damn good dinner, if I do say so myself.

Comments

Diane said…
Yeah - I hear ya. Its a tough month so far. We're thinking of you...hi to Dev.

Popular Posts