Midnight Train to GA- Day 2

Day 2 of our cross country drive began having breakfast at our motel. We were staying at the Baymont Inn in Amarillo, TX. I don't recommend doing this. It was a less than favorable stay.

After getting our key from the front desk last night, we went to our room and were rather rudely greeted by the couple that already paid for that room. Back down to the desk we went....

Then at around 6:30am this morning, a little man came and banged on our door, delivering a machine to get rid of the stale cigarette smell in our "non-smoking" room. Nice.

The desk clerk told us we could come down between 6:30 and 9:30am for hot breakfast. We rolled down the stairs about 8:00, and took a look at what they had to offer.

There were institutionally oven baked scrambled egg (consistency somewhere between rubber door mat and foam mattress), biscuits, sausage gravy, sausage patties, apples, oranges, various pastries, cereal and a waffle maker. Not too bad, by motel standards, I guess. I had a few spoonfuls of rubber eggs, and a biscuit with a tad bit of gravy. I bypassed the sausage patties. Dev had the sausage and biscuits with gravy.

We were sandwiched in between several tables. Two of the tables had 2 very tired looking women and 7 (yes I said 7) kids. No husbands in sight. I hope they weren't sleeping up in the rooms. I'm fairly sure if I had to herd 3 kids down to breakfast, their other DNA donor would be there, helping me. The other table looked like something right out of "Deliverance." At the table sat several males, the most striking of whom was a very large old man wearing denim overalls. And a baseball cap. At breakfast. I think it was the most interesting breakfast I've ever had, from a sheerly people watching standpoint.

After breakfast, we hit the road. Here's what I see from my side of the truck most of the time...



Here's a pic of the spot we picked to have lunch today. It was at one of the Texas travel information centers. This one was really nice- covered picnic areas and a scenic view of the river.



And here's Dev under the Texas sign. Isn't he cute??

Comments

Popular Posts