Veggie Lasagna


This weekend I made a big pot of marinara sauce, and what better way to use some of it than a small pan of veggie lasagna? I don't really have a recipe for this. It just happens every once in a while.

The marinara sauce is easy. I saute one small onion, some anchovy paste (shhhh- don't tell Dev), carrot and celery and red pepper flakes for a few minutes. I add a couple of cloves of chopped fresh garlic. Then I add about half a small can of tomato paste (or a few squirts of ketchup if I don't have tomato paste) and let it cook for about 5 minutes. After the tomato paste has had a chance to fester a few minutes I add a few glugs of red wine (if I have it) and let it reduce a little. A 28oz can of crushed tomatoes lands in the pot after that. I salt and pepper it and let it simmer on the stove top as long as I can stand it. This weekend's batch simmered about 3 hours.

For the lasagna I roasted some mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini and red onion slices. When they were done, I layered them with lasagna noodles, marinara sauce and ricotta mixed with a little lemon zest, onion powder and garlic powder. I topped the lasagna with grated parmesan and mozzarella (sp) cheese.

It came out pretty well. A little loose, but after a night in the fridge, the leftovers were perfect!

Comments

Popular Posts