Have you done FRED yet??

I have. And I totally enjoyed myself.

This weekend I had a very unique experience. I was invited to attend a FRED. What's a FRED, you ask?

A FRED is like a girlfriend getaway mashed together with summer camp mashed together with a college dorm.

I met 8 brand new friends this weekend. Prior to Friday afternoon, I had no idea any of them existed.

A few months ago, Tonya asked me if I wanted to go on a girls' vacation with a friend of hers (Toni) and some other ladies. They were getting away to a cabin up near Salida, CO. Naturally, I said I would love to.

Fast forward a few months, and T and I are climbing in her mini-van, bound for Salida! I wasn't sure what to expect, since T was the only person I would know out of the group- plus Toni was the only person T knew. All my concerns were put by the way-side very soon after arriving at the cabin. Within minutes we were all laughing and talking and letting our hair down. The other ladies there were members of a mom's group. They were all there without their spouses and children. I can honestly say I thought I would feel out of place being the only childless person, but I really wasn't. I enjoyed listening to their stories and watching them share pictures. Not to mention the fact that watching them all shed the "mommy" skin and become carefree, silly girls again was IMMENSELY entertaining... :) There was abundant laughter, abundant food, abundant story-telling- and abundant rain. It rained more in that one weekend than I've ever seen since I moved here. But it did not dampen our fun.

I did not take my camera, since Dev was going camping with his parents and I figured I'd be with T, who takes way better pics than I do anyway. As soon as she posts her pics to flickr, I'll link to it.

I'd like to talk more about the FRED, but I'm at a loss right now for what to say. It was an incredible experience, and I feel so honored that these wonderful women let me into their circle of friends. Memories of this weekend will be making me smile for years to come.

I can't wait for FRED 2008!

Comments

michelle said…
Sounds like a great time was had by all! :)
Anonymous said…
If it makes you feel better - after the fact, of course (ha ha) - Kelly and I were not in the mom's group the rest were in, so we didn't know most everyone there. ;)

I so enjoyed meeting you and hope we get to know each other much better soon!
Anonymous said…
What does FRED stand for?
Anonymous said…
Thank you for agreeing to put up with me all weekend! :)
Kelly said…
It was awesome meeting you too, Mimi. You are such a cool person, and I just loved listening to your stories (that GA accent made it even better).
Melessa Gregg said…
It was so nice to get to know you, and I'm so relieved we didn't scare you off with our mommy-talk. I hope to see you next year!

Popular Posts