Desperation Salsa

I don't think I've ever found a jarred salsa that I really, really like. Harry and David's salsas come close, but they still taste like fancier, more expensive jarred salsa.

My menu called for turkey tacos this evening, and I really wanted a fresh tasting salsa to go with them. It's not tomato season here yet, so I had to use canned. What I came up with turned out pretty darn good. I'm sure I will be tweaking it after I have actual groceries in the house (which will depend on how long we are under a tap water ban).

Here's what I used:

1 can Del Monte Zesty Mild Green Chile diced tomatoes
1 small can diced green chile (any brand will do)
1/2 onion (raw)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped roughly
lime juice
dash hot sauce of your choice (I used Cholula)

I threw all those things in a blender and gave it a whirl. The result tasted pretty fresh and not at all artificial or canned. Like I said before, I will tweak it later with fresh tomatoes, fresh cilantro, etc.- I just don't have those things around right now.

There's no pic because I forgot to take one and now that I'm sitting at the computer, I'm too lazy to get back up.

Comments

Teresa said…
Mmmm! This sounds quick and easy as well as yummy. It does sound like it would be awesome with fresh tomatoes too but I'm gonna whip up a batch with the canned tomatoes to go with my taco salad for lunch today.

Thanks!

Popular Posts