Flour Tortillas


Flour Tortillas, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

You are looking at the very first ever batch of flour tortillas I've ever made. They came out pretty well.

I think next time I will sub whole wheat for some of the flour, and I will definitely add some herbs to the dough.

The recipe was simple. I found it on foodtv.com...

Flour Tortillas

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. veggie shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 c. warm water

Put flour, shortening and salt in a mixer and beat with the paddle attachment until crumbly. The recipe said it would take 3-5 minutes, but it didn't take that long for mine. With the mixer running, slowly add the water and mix until the dough is smooth. Take the dough out of the mixer and shape into small balls. Mine were like golf ball sized, but the resulting tortillas were small. If you want bigger tortillas, make the balls bigger. I think it is mostly trial and error. Put the dough balls on a tray and cover with a damp cloth. Let them sit at least 15 minutes.
On a lightly floured board (I actually used 2 pieces of parchment paper on a silicone mat) roll dough balls into discs. Mine were pretty thin, and most made 6 inch (or thereabouts) tortillas. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Make sure it is very hot before you put in the dough. Cook tortillas one at a time, about 30 seconds per side, but you will know when they are ready to flip because they will get bubbles in them and start lifting off the skillet bottom. But keep an eye on them- they go from pleasantly charred to unedible in about 2 seconds!
The article I read said they can be frozen after they are cooked. Layer them in ziplock bags between wax paper or parchment paper sheets.

Mine are bound for some red curry paste-marinated chicken pieces with greek yogurt sauce. I will try to remember to post a pic of the wraps before we dig in!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Mimi, you have inspired me to give making tortillas a go....I often eat fajitas but have never tackled making my own....will def give this a try! Thanks
Loulou
Mimi said…
That was amazing! How did she work over that fire without burning her fingers off? And the tortilla was so thin and delicate!!
Mimi said…
Thanks loulou! If I can do it anybody can! The flour ones are much easier- in my opinion, anyway.

Popular Posts