Salad of the Gods


Ok- well that may be a slight overstatement, and it makes a few important assumptions...

1- That the Gods are southern.
2- That the Gods are not vegetarian.
3- That the Gods have not already signed some sort of exclusive contract with a less than mediocre national chain restaurant to produce their salad in a different way.

With that introduction out of the way, allow me to introduce to you the "SALAD OF THE GODS."

So I may need to divulge another fact to you- I really didn't come up with this salad all by myself. I had a similar one years ago at an Atlanta restaurant that I'm not even sure still exists. It was "The Rib Ranch" (I think). After a brief bit of research on the web, I have found that it is no longer called "The Rib Ranch," but is now called the "One Star Ranch." The place was great- very eclectic atmosphere. As I remember it, when you walked in the door you were immediately greeted by a huge 100 gallon aquarium with a stuffed (like taxadermy-ized not beanie baby-ized) armadillo.

Anyway- this salad can be anything you want it to be as long as you include a nice big scoop of pulled pork barbecue right on the top. My salad also included romaine, cucumber, avacado, scallions, tomatoes, ranch dressing (homemade) and tortilla chips.

I was inspired to make this salad because I tried a new braised pork recipe Friday (that didn't come out well at all). I shredded the meat and sauted it with some barbecue sauce my brother made. Rather than just make another sandwich, I remembered the wonderful salad at the Rib Ranch (from at least 15 years ago) and set to work making my dream a reality. The only thing I didn't replicate was the tasty tortilla shell bowl. I didn't have that kinda time.....

Comments

Popular Posts