pecan pie bar


pecan pie bar, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

I sent a batch of these to school with Dev today...insuring his instant popularity with his fellow teachers!

They were simple to make (but not simpler than a real pecan pie). I guess the only reason to do these instead of the pie is you get more pieces. If you cut them in teeny weeny pieces, you get 36. I got 12. Nuff said. :)

Here's the recipe- as usual I will follow with my substitutions (cuz there are always substitutions):

Pecan Pie Surprise Bars

Base:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 egg

Filling:
½ c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 ½ c. dark corn syrup
1 t. vanilla
3 eggs
1 c. chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350. Grease 13x9 pan. Reserve 2/3 c. dry cake mix for filling. In large bowl, combine remaining dry cake mix, butter and 1 egg at low speed until well blended. Spread in prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

In large bowl, combine reserved cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and 3 eggs at low speed until moistened. Beat at medium speed about 1 minute or until well blended. Pour filling over base; sprinkle with pecans. Return to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

36 bars.

Alrighty- the only substitution I made this time around was the corn syrup. I didn't have dark, so I used light. I'm not sure if it affected the flavor- but these were pretty dirn good, so I don't care!

Comments

Popular Posts