The Weekend!

What a long week! I had 2 substitute teacher gigs this week, as well as a couple of days volunteering at the school. Although it severely cut into my cooking time, I enjoyed being busy.

I wanted to take a quick minute and blog one of the meals I made this week. Unfortunately, I spaced on the taking pics, but it really was pretty.

Pasta with Lemony Chicken and Asparagus (from Cook's Country- Apr/May issue)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch slices
4 T. unsalted butter (or you could use olive oil)
1 pound asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 pound companelle pasta (I used farfalle)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Melt one tablespoon butter in large non stick skillet over medium heat. Cook half of chicken til golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with additional tablespoon of butter and remaining chicken.

Add additional 1 tablespoon butter and add asparagus to empty skillet and cook til asparagus is tender- about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook til fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken and cover to keep warm.

At this point I went off the recipe and deglazed the pan with some white wine. After it had reduced, I hit it with a pat of butter, to make a little bit of a pan sauce.

Add 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and add pasta. Cook til al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Drain pasta and return it to pot. Add remaining butter, chicken, asparagus, lemon juice, cheese and parsley to pot and toss to combine, adding pasta water as needed (I omitted this step and poured on my pan sauce). Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

This was really really good! And the leftovers the next day were even better! You could do this with any pasta/veggie combination. The kicker to me is the lemon. It really makes the whole dish bright and light.

Comments

Popular Posts