Saturday Stuff

It's 11:00am. Dev and I got up about 7:15 so he could read some stuff for homework and I could finally catch Jamie Oliver's new show on foodtv.

I think the name of the show is "Jamie at Home," or something like that. The format is really nice, as is the kitchen. Of all the foodtv shows, it is probably the least pretentious kitchen set.

The subject of this week's show was rhubarb. I have never really eaten rhubarb. Dev's parents grow it in their garden every year so his mom can make rhubarb jam and rhubarb/strawberry pies- both of which are really good. Jamie took it in a different direction and used it to make a base for a pork stew. Actually, he made a big batch of rhubarb compote at the beginning, then used the compote to make a few other things.

I liked the show and if I'm up at 7:30am on a Saturday, I'll watch it again.

In other news, while preparing breakfast for us this morning, I found other products in my fridge containing the dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup- my ketchup and my vidalia onion hot sauce. So upon replacing these items, I will be doing some label reading.

In anticipation of our first big cheesemaking weekend, I wanted to use up what store bought cream cheese I had in the fridge, so I made a batch of smoked salmon spread (also using the last of the smoked salmon I had stashed in the freezer). I love this spread because all you need to add to make it breakfast is a bagel or english muffin. I put about 8oz. of softened cream cheese in the bowl of my food processor. I added probably 3oz. of smoked salmon, about a teaspoon of dried dill and 2 teaspoons of greek seasoning. I didn't add salt because the salmon is salty enough. Then I just whizzed it around in the processor until it was smooth.

I also needed to use up the last of the store bought plain yogurt. So tonight for dinner we are having chicken kabobs. I am marinating the chicken in the plain yogurt mixed with some red curry paste. I'll make the kabobs out of the chicken, peppers, onion and grape tomatoes- then pair it with some couscous.

And speaking of dinners- I outlined the menu for dinners this week....

Saturday- Chicken kabobs with couscous
Sunday- lasagna
Monday- Chicken Dumpling Soup
Tuesday- Chili with cornbread
Wednesday- Shepherd's Pie
Thursday- leftovers
Friday- pizza

I'll post again later with the status on my Nigella and Pie projects.....

Comments

Popular Posts