Wednesday Night...Shepherd's Pie


IMG_1024, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

It was snowing again when I got home from school today, so it was the perfect night for this dish. I don't even remember where I got this recipe, although if it's like most of the ones I use, it was a frankenstein recipe made from 15 other recipes I looked up on the internet. I just use the things I like about each one and put them all together.
Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe....

Shepherd’s Pie

1 lg. onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 lg. carrots, diced
1 clove garlic, minced (or finely grated)
2 T. olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
1 T. tomato paste (or ketchup)
1 t. parsley
½ t. thyme
1 T. cinnamon
½ t. sage
2/3 c. beef or chicken broth
2 lg. baking potatoes
½ cup whipped cream cheese
¼ cup butter (half a stick)
¼ cup half n half
1 c. cheddar cheese
s/p to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Peel potatoes and cut in large chunks. Put in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Turn down a little and let cook til done (they should be done by the time the filling’s ready to go).

Put turkey or beef into a large skillet with the olive oil and begin to brown. Chop all veggies and toss in with the browning meat. After veggies have softened and meat is cooked, add tomato paste or ketchup and cook a few minutes. I also added a few glugs of white wine. Then add the broth. Allow this to reduce a little, and thicken. Add herbs and cinnamon and let cook a few minutes. Put on low heat while you make the mashed potatoes.

Drain potatoes and put in the bowl of your stand mixer. Immediately add the butter and cream cheese. Mix on medium speed (I used my whisk attachment). Slowly add the half n half and salt/pepper. Whip until potatoes are the desired consistency.

Put meat filling in an 8x8 pyrex pan. Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.

Bake on 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, or til golden.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the term you've coined "frankenstein recipe".
Mimi said…
Well, at least I'm honest... :)

Popular Posts