TGIF!!!!!

It's Friday again.

We have big plans for the weekend.

We are embarking upon 2 additional lifestyle changes (brought about by my reading of Barbara Kingsolver's novel "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle") this weekend.

We are going to do our best to eliminate as many sources of high fructose corn syrup as we can find. So far, I've identified it in every jar of jelly in the fridge, and even some of the yogurts. Soda's won't be a very big sacrifice, because we don't drink many of those anyway. I'm scared to venture into the pantry, although we don't buy lots of pre-packaged things. We mostly stock canned beans, canned tomatoes and pastas. I have a feeling my beloved Jiffy cornbread mix might be on the chopping block, though. (UPDATE- I just checked- it's ok...)

We have been making our own ricotta and mozzarella cheeses for over a year now. But we just ordered the cultures to make our own cream cheese and yogurt. I am looking forward to being able to control additives and flavors in the cheese.
We have found home cheesemaking to be very enjoyable. I think it's easier than baking bread. And as far as the mozzarella is concerned, you are making really good cheese for a fraction of what you will pay for half the amount of marginal cheese at the store. As a matter of fact, it costs a gallon of whole milk. Well- that and whatever you paid for the rennet and the culture (but that isn't much).

Also on the project board for this weekend: chocolate chip cookies, Nigella's quadruple chocolate bread and some kind of pie. These are all for various food blog contests I want to enter.

A trip to the Hooper Pool Hot Spring may also find it's way on the schedule. The people who own the pool also grow hothouse tomatoes, cucumbers and salad greens.

It's time for me to begin reading my food blogs. I'll post updates on the high fructose corn syrup root-out and the cheese making.

Comments

Popular Posts