Creative Play On Monday


playing, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

The kitchen is slowly but surely taking shape. I change things around everytime I go in there to cook.





Monday's projects included 2 strawberry rhubarb pies and home made strawberry sherbet.

The pie has been blogged before (with raspberries instead of strawberries), but the sherbet experiment is new.

Here's the recipe. Then I'll weigh in on what I'll change next time...

Strawberry Sherbet

2 c. chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. half and half
2 t. lemon juice
1 t. vanilla
dash of salt

Mix 1 cup berries and sugar in a bowl and let it fester for 10 minutes or so. Throw it in a blender and take it for a spin.
Mix the buttermilk, half and half, lemon, vanilla and salt. Run the berry puree through a sieve and dump it in with the buttermilk mixture. Stir it, cover it and stash it in the icebox for at least 2 hours.

Pour it in your handy dandy ice cream freezer and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Put the reserved cup of chopped berries in during the last 5 minutes of churning.

Ok- now let me tell you what I did differently and what I'll change next time.

I didn't have enough buttermilk, so I ended up using 1 cup buttermilk mixed with a cup and a half of 2% milk. Next time if I don't have the buttermilk, I'll use half and half or real cream. The milk affected the texture and made it too hard. I also didn't have lemon juice, so I used lime juice. I don't think that did any harm. Citrus is citrus when it's that small an amount.

The taste of this was slightly odd. I liked it because it isn't cloyingly sweet. But as I said before, I wanted it creamier. I think using all half and half or even heavy cream to replace some of the buttermilk would help. If you don't like tangy then don't try this recipe. I love tangy and it was fine for me.

It was very refreshing and perfect for a summer dessert!

Comments

Popular Posts