Ga Vacation Day 4

My family really doesn't have many traditions. I can only think of 2...

Going to Christmas Eve services at our church...
Not wearing shorts before school gets out (really more of a rule than a tradition)...

That's pretty much it. Everything else is up for grabs. But there is one other thing that has sort of become a tradition since my niece, Taylor, has been around.

When she was little, say 7 or 8, every once in a while she would come and stay with me at my apartment for the weekend. While she was there, we would always make a trip to Spanky's on Riverstreet. It was there I introduced her to the real cherry coke. Not that crap they put in the cans, but a real coca-cola with grenadine- like they made at real soda fountains. Spanky's has always made a really good cherry coke. And, of course, everyone in Savannah knows that Spanky's makes the best chicken fingers in the universe...

After feasting on chicken fingers and cherry coke, we'd walk down the sidewalk to Savannah Candy Kitchen. This place is a sugar junkie's idea of heaven. They make fudge, pralines, taffy- you name it. Plus- they have what used to be penny candy in big barrels all over the store- only it isn't a penny anymore! They also carry a big selection of novelty and nostalgic candies (pop rocks or Charleston Chews, anyone?). Taylor always walked out with at least $5 worth of sugar buzz! I'm sure her mom appreciated that when I dropped her off at home...

So now when I come home to visit, one of the obligatory activities is taking Taylor to Spanky's for chicken fingers and a cherry coke. I had the buffalo chicken fingers this time, which were ok, but I should have stuck to the original. Dev had a huge hamburger that looked really good. Taylor still ordered chicken fingers and a cherry coke, but as a teenager- she skipped the candy this time. Bummer.

I'm so glad we kept the tradition alive. It gives us a chance to catch up on what's happening in Taylor's life. Facebook pages are nice, but face to face conversation is so much better!

I took Taylor back to her mom's office. They were leaving for Jacksonville on vacation, and Dev and I were headed to Suz and Di's. We stopped by and picked up the leftover flounder fillet- it was destined for a makeover.

Diane and I ended up making the flounder into fish tacos. Di cut the flounder into pieces, breaded it and shallow fried it. We also had a can of lump crab meat on hand, so we also made crab quesadillas to go with the tacos. I wish I had taken pictures, but believe me, it was good! We heard no complaints from Dev or Suz.

After dinner, we headed to The Distillery in downtown Savannah. This is a really neat place. It opened some time in the last year. This is the place to go for good beer- tons of different labels on tap and in bottles. The food is pretty good, too (I hear- we were too full of fish tacos to order food). I had a beer cocktail (some fancy beer with a shot of frambois lambic) that was really yummie. Dev tried "Left Hand Milk Stout" and I'm not sure what Di tried, but everyone liked their choices.

It was a great way to end a long vacation day!

Comments

Popular Posts