Nachos!!!!


nachos2, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

I LOVE nachos. I bet not many people know this about me because I never order them when I go to restaurants.

That is because I am a control freak when it comes to my nachos. I want to know what's in them.

When I was newly divorced and living on my own for the first time (in a very tiny apartment with a miniscule kitchen), I bet I ate nachos for dinner at least 3 nights a week. Horrified? Don't be.

Don't get hung up thinking about nachos the way they usually exist in bars and restaurants. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they don't always have to be a huge pile of greasy chips covered in mushy refried beans and tons of chemical cheese.

I have always considered nachos to be a quick, easy way to use up bits of leftovers in my ice box. The format is completely interchangeable. The combination of toppings is as vast as your imagination- and if you're anything like me- your imagination is limitless!

Today's combo included tortilla chips, diced plum tomatoes, leftover grilled chicken from last night's fajitas, fresh mushrooms and the grated remains of 2 teeny weeny little knobs of Dubliner and Cotswald cheese I had in the ice box. I topped the nachos with the leftover home made salsa from the fajitas, as well as a few dollops of sour cream. I nuked them for about 1 min. 30 seconds. Then I sat down and ate lunch with my fingers. Excellent!

I have made nachos out of just about everything: shrimp, goat cheese, cabbage, smoked salmon (using melba toasts instead of tortilla chips), you name it, you can make nachos out of it. Really, as long as you have a cheese component, some veggies and some sort of protein, you have nachos. Sometimes I use the crumbs in the bottom of the bag of tortilla chips to make a kind of layered nachos that I have to eat with a fork. Instead of arranging whole chips on a plate, I dump the crumbs in the bottom of a bowl, pile the toppings on, nuke it, then mix it up and eat it with a fork.

This is the ultimate leftover user upper, as well as the ultimate lazy dinner!!

Comments

Diane said…
You like to make your own nachos so you can have the same amount of each thing in each bite - I know the real truth :)

Popular Posts