ham and cheese waffles


ham and cheese waffles, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

These were Sunday breakfast.

I blogged about my usual waffle recipe earlier this week, bemoaning the work involved. I found this recipe in the September 2009 issue of Rachael Ray's magazine, and it sounded much simpler- not to mention it added a savory element that sounded good to me. So- I got out my waffle iron again and made a batch this morning.

They came out really well, and I'll be making them again soon!

Sausage, Potato and Cheese Waffles

1 link sweet Italian Sausage, casing discarded (I subbed ham)
1 baking potato, grated and excess water removed (I used frozen hash browns)
4 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

In a medium skillet, cook the sausage over medium high heat, breaking it up with a spatula, for 5 minutes. Add the potato and butter, lower the heat and simmer until butter melts, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in the milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in sausage potato mixture.
Using a waffle iron, cook the waffles according to manufacturer's directions.

I really liked these. I think I will use the leftovers to build breakfast sandwiches during the week.

Comments

Emmy Lou said…
I was just whining about not having a waffle iron cause I saw some fluffy cornmeal waffles in Gourmet and my friend said they are amazing with honey berry butter, but then again, what wouldn't be?

Popular Posts