waffles!


waffles, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi.

Dev wanted waffles for breakfast this morning. We haven't had waffles in a long time, so I figured it was worth the trouble.

And trouble it is, kids. These always turn out wonderfully, but oh my gosh what a pain in the posterior this recipe is! The only reason I used the recipe again was because I knew where it was and didn't need to look it up...

Here's the recipe...

Basic Waffles
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup veggie oil

Preheat your waffle iron. I use the crispy setting on mine.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites to soft peaks, slowly add sugar and beat til stiff. Remove egg whites to separate bowl.
Use mixer to blend the egg yolks, milk and veggie oil.
Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk together until just mixed- a few lumps are fine.
Gently fold egg whites into batter.
Pour batter into the center of each portion of your waffle iron. Close lid and bake. Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes 10 waffles.

Well, mine makes more like 14 because I make them a little smaller. But they are really good. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
On the down side- I used every dish and spatula in my kitchen to make these. Clean up is a nightmare.
On the up side- I now have home made waffles in the freezer than I can pop into the toaster during the week. They taste just as good after they are toasted as they did when they came out of the waffle iron.
There are probably easier waffle recipes out there- I just haven't gotten around to finding them yet!

Comments

Diane said…
Yes - one box of waffle mix - add water - once you add the butter and syrup - you really have to ask yourself if it is worth the trouble!

Popular Posts