Breakfast Table Questions

One of my favorite things about weekend breakfast is the unhurried pace.

During the week, it seems like Dev and I hit the ground running. Almost every single minute is taken up by some task that has to be done to get ready for work.

On the weekends, however, we usually are not on a time schedule, so breakfast can be more involved, and there is plenty of time for talking while finishing your coffee or hot tea.

Sometimes Dev and I talk about our plans for the weekend. This particular Sunday morning, I decided to ask questions about Easter.

My significant other, Devin, has done quite a bit of studying about the Jewish tradition. It never ceases to amaze me what he knows about the history and symbolism of all things Hebrew.

Our conversation started with my question about Easter. I wanted to know if Easter happened before, during or after Passover. Devin hopped up, and returned to the breakfast table a few seconds later with some huge book. We decided that Easter happens during Passover.

After digging around for a while, I found I had many questions. For example….

If “mickve” is the Hebrew word for ritual bath, then what is the meaning of the name Mickve Israel?

Is the Christian tradition of baptism a direct outcropping of the Jewish tradition of visiting a mickve before entering the temple?

What exactly are Jewish people cleansing themselves of when they visit a mickve?

Do Jewish people have the same concept of “sin” as Christians?

I could go on and on. I think Dev hopes that next Sunday I pick an easier subject- like where to ride our bikes……

Comments

Popular Posts