Home-made Smoked Salmon

Every so often I get a hankering for some smoked salmon. Like most people, I usually just buy a package from the local grocery store (although this has become more challenging since I moved out west).

But sometimes, I decide to make it myself. It's not hard, and the results are better because I can control the salt. My last salmon experiment involved a recipe for gravlax. It turned out well, but made me nervous because the fish was never "cooked."

This time I opted to smoke the salmon fillet in my stove top smoker. It was so easy and the salmon came out perfectly!

Here's what I did.....

I took down my Cameron stove top smoker. I'm thinking of upgrading to the cast iron model by Emeril, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyhoo....

I put a tablespoon and a half of alder wood sawdust in the bottom of the unit.



I covered the bottom drip pan in foil, to make cleaning up easier. I oiled the rack and placed it over the drip pan. Then I put my salmon fillet on the rack. I dressed the fillet with lemon juice and black pepper. Next time I might leave some lemon slices on it while it smokes.



After dressing the salmon, I put the unit on a preheated burner (medium heat) and slid the top on. I set my oven timer for 25 minutes.

When the timer went off, I took the unit outside and slid off the cover. I was greeted with a perfectly smoked fillet of salmon.



Now- where's that bottle of capers???

Comments

Popular Posts