Now This Is More Like It....

Today was a truly great day. I have not had many of those lately.

I felt good when I woke up this morning. Breakfast was quasi good for me (oatmeal). I got to talk to a new friend for a while about food and blogging (more on that later!).

Dev and I went over to take a look at the library so I can start redecorating and getting things ready for school when I get back from GA in July. I have so many ideas running around in my head that I had to start writing them down before I forget!

I had half a pound of shrimp leftover in my freezer, so I decided to revisit an old favorite recipe for dinner tonight- shrimp fried rice!

I made several substitutions, but the basic recipe comes from an old episode of "Emeril Live." I stick to the basics, but I always add whatever protein and veggie mix I have on hand.

Tonight I used the shrimp, some fake crab (I know some people really don't like this stuff, but crab is outrageously expensive out here, and this is as close as I usually get), carrot, onion and edamame. I also didn't have a whole lot of rice, plus white rice isn't exactly en vogue right now, so I used about a cup of white rice and the rest was quinoa. I really like the texture of the quinoa, not to mention the nutritional boost. I also didn't have tasso ham, so I substituted 2 pieces of Dev's home-made bacon.

Here is the mise en place for the dish. With fried rice, I have found that everything has to be chopped/measured beforehand, because once the garlic and ginger hit the hot fat, there is no time for chopping.



I like stir fries because you pretty much chop everything up and throw it in a sizzling hot pan- fast and easy.

Here's what happened after I threw everything in the pot and slung it around...



So colorful!!

A really good one dish meal. I threw it in a bowl and topped it with some scallions. And the really cool thing is, it will be even better tomorrow for lunch once it festers in the ice box overnight!

Comments

Popular Posts