Lizard

Friday morning, the girls dropped me off at the Jimmy Carter exit off I-85, where Lizard came and picked me up.

Lizard (her real name is Lisanne, but I've called her Lizard as long as I can remember) and I have been friends since high school. I'm not sure what else to say about that. A friendship that has lasted that long sort of defies description.

Not long after I confirmed my plans to travel home for the summer, I emailed Lizard a blog post written by Adam over at Amateur Gourmet. In the post he waxes poetic about the dining scene in Atlanta. Here is a link to that specific post. There were a number of restaurants in the post I had never visited, so I suggested when we formulated our plan of attack for the weekend, we include a few of them in our battle strategy.

I was especially interested in Watershed, a restaurant in downtown Decatur. At different times in my life I have spent lots of time crawling around this area. I have always loved it because it is ever changing. Lizard and I decided we would start our adventure with lunch at Watershed, then a trip to the Dekalb County Farmers' Market.

Here's the front of Watershed...



I loved the atmosphere. It's very open and airy. And as much as I want to effervesce about my experience there, I can't. The service was impeccable. The presentation was uncluttered and classic. My choices just didn't do it for me. I think next time I'll go for dinner. I ordered the Shed salad, which was a tad bitter for me. I needed more sweet or buttery lettuce to balance it for me. My entree was a roasted pork sandwich with fig conserve and fresh cheese. It was ok, but the figs were too big and the cheese was completely lost in the mix. It wasn't so bad that I won't ever go again, but I was disappointed.

After lunch, we loaded the mini van and headed to the Dekalb County Farmers' Market. I knew this wouldn't disappoint, because when I lived in Marietta, I travelled a long way at least 1 Saturday a month to shop there.

We spent several hours crawling over every inch of the place. I couldn't leave without the chocolate croissants that got me through many a night grading papers when I lived in Atlanta.

After we got home, I settled in my room, and met one of Lizard's newer cats, Peanut...



Cute?

Here's the other new one, Phoebe...



Phoebe is one of those cats that makes you glad you don't have a cat anymore, in spite of her cuteness. She is the trouble maker of the two, and is constantly on the look out for a reason to cause chaos.

Saturday morning we threw on clothes and headed to the Roswell Farmers' Market. It's brand new this year, so there aren't many vendors yet, but the ones there are worth the trip.

Here is some bread from the Artisan Foods Bakery and Cafe. They had a tent set up with bread and other goodies.



We enjoyed their bread so much that we decided to go to their restaurant for lunch. Here's my roasted veggie sandwich. It was simply divine- perfectly roasted veggies (eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, mushroom) on a fresh ciabatta roll.



Next we trekked to Ikea in Atlantic Station. It is such a pity I have to fly back to Colorado. If I had a means to get it back, I'd have gone insane in that place. If Ikea had existed in Atlanta when I went off to college, I would have had the mack daddiest dorm room in the universe.

After several hours in Ikea, we headed to midtown for dinner. Our choice was MF Sushi. Supposedly this place is one of the best places to eat sushi in Atlanta. And I believe it. Here's a pic of my Godzilla roll...



It was pricey, but worth it. The service was great and the roll was perfect.

And to complete my slide into gluttony, after dinner we walked next door to the Krispy Kreme.

You know, I honestly think if I make it to heaven, I will have 2 requests... Sushi at every meal, and a Krispy Kreme magic donut elevator over my bed so they can just drop into my mouth. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Here's a pic of the magic donut elevator...



We spent the next day chilling out and playing with Lizard's five month old son, Daniel. I would post pics of him, but Lizard is a little skeeved out about his picture being on the internet, which I can understand. But he's a cutie, trust me!

Lizard delivered me back to the Jimmy Carter exit Monday morning, so Diane, Suzanne and I could head back towards Savannah. I don't get to see her often enough, and I'm glad we got to hang out for a little while.

Comments

Popular Posts