Art Walk

Imagine sitting in a charming little coffee shop…..hot, spicy chai in hand….listening to bits and pieces of fascinating conversations going on all around you…..seeing people from all walks of life laughing and talking together. Soon, live music starts, and then after that, people are reading aloud from novels and books of poetry.

This was the scene last Saturday at Milagro’s in downtown Alamosa. This was only one of several such scenes playing out all around the downtown area. Was this just a spontaneous outcropping of artistic energy? No…..

This was Artwalk- and it is a great concept.

The idea of bringing together groups of artists and groups of art buyers (or art browsers) is inspired. It’s a classic win/win situation. The artists reach an audience that they might not have accessed on their own, and the audiences gain exposure to art and music they might not have ever discovered. That, to me, is a great way to spend a Saturday.

I wish the weather had been more cooperative. Although the crowds were pretty big considering the snow, I can only wonder how many people would have been there had the sun been out.

I’m sure the planning was a logistical nightmare, but it certainly came off flawlessly. Everyone seemed to be having a great time (artists and audiences alike). That is surely indicative of a successful event.

I am looking forward to experiencing next year’s Artwalk. I will start sending up smoke signals for better weather…..and next year I’ll get there earlier and stake out the couch….

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was hoping a lot of folks would forget the weather and come out to ArtWalk anyway!

Did you see Eric Shiveley while you were at Milagros? I think he was due to be on about 1pm.
michelle said…
Hi Mimi!

Found you by way of Tonya P... thought I'd stop in and say hi. I'm very interested to go back and read your blog and see how this has all worked out for you as my husband and I are toying with the idea of a relocation from NC to the SLV. We'll be out in May to "check things out"!

Popular Posts