Signs of Spring!!!!!





Over the last few weeks, the weather here has turned beautiful (last Saturday’s blizzard notwithstanding). When things begin to warm up, thoughts begin to turn to planting things.

Dev and I have decided to grow vegetables this year. This will be no small feat considering we live in a little apartment with no patio or deck.

So far we have a few herb plants (rosemary, mint, parsley, cilantro and soon chives), peas, mini cantaloupes, tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Most of these things are still being coaxed from seeds.

I’ve never really grown anything from seeds before. I always wait until the plants show up at garden centers. We are having mixed results. The peas are going crazy. The herbs, however, are not doing so well.

I am discovering that Dev is quite the farmer. He patiently waters the plants everyday, and moves the peas out on the front walk, then moves them back inside when it starts getting chilly in the evening.

I really hope all the veggies survive infancy. I think it would be great to be able to pick something from right outside the front door, then cook it for dinner. I am especially looking forward to the tomatoes and jalapeno’s. I love to make salsa, and this promises to be a banner year!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Mimi,

I lived in Atlanta for 15 years and have some good buddies in Savannah....and I live here in the SLV, too! You can get in touch with me at my website www.liciaberry.com. (email is there)
Hope you are enjoying this amazing valley!
licia

Popular Posts