Cool Things About Winter

t has been quite cold here lately. During the night it's been around -20, and during the day, the highs have been around 15.
There are very few nice things I have to say about weather like this. But here are some of them:
It is kinda nice to have a season other than muggy. The air is crisp and clear and the views of the mountains are beautiful.
This morning, when I went outside, the air was literally sparkling- like little tiny fireflies. I'm not sure whether it was frost in the air, or what, but the air was glittery. It was very beautiful. I'm sure Dev didn't think so, because he was on the outside of the truck, scraping ice off the windshield. Sometimes I love being a girl!
I can finally cook all the wonderful stews that are just too heavy to eat back home very often because it's just too hot and muggy.
Now- with that said, here are a few things I don't like about this weather:
My skin is going nuts. It is used to 100% humidity all the time. I think it has figured out we're not on vacation and we're not going home, so now it is rebelling. I look like a 15 year old a week before the prom.
My hair is also not assimilating easily. At home, my hair always kinda frizzed because of the humidity in the air. Out here, it's just dry. It feels like straw when I wash it. I am using every conditioner known to mankind, and it doesn't seem to be helping. I hope it's just a stage....
I'm sure this is more info than ANYBODY needs, but wearing 14 layers of clothing all the time makes life difficult. It makes getting up off the couch difficult. It makes pole vaulting into Dev's truck difficult and it makes going to the bathroom an unmitigated ordeal. It takes me at least 10 minutes to go to the bathroom now. Eight of those minutes are re-adjusting the tshirt, long underwear, long sleeved tshirt and sweatshirt that I'm wearing, as well as pulling up the long socks, then pulling up the tights, then pulling up the long underwear, then pulling up my jeans. And when you go into a store (where the heater is cranked up), you end up peeling off layers, only to have to re-apply all of them to go back outside.
I have also figured out that Dev's definition of dressing warmly and my definition of dressing warmly are vastly different.
Dev considers dressing warmly from a survival perspective. As long as his internal organs aren't shutting down, and he has feeling in most of his extremities, he's fine.
My idea of dressing warmly is not being able to determine the temperature of the surrounding air. I must have on a hat (and if the hat doesn't cover my ears, then ear muffs, too), gloves, a scarf and a jacket. I almost always wear 2 pairs of socks. I may have to live in the cold, but that doesn't mean I have to be able to feel it.

Comments

Popular Posts