Taos, NM- Part One


Taos Part One
Dev and I jumped in the truck and headed over the Taos, NM Saturday morning.
We thought we knew exactly where we were going, but we didn't. But you know, it turned out alright, so I'm willing to chalk this up to another life adventure.
Happy we were, rolling south down highway 285. I was only mildly concerned about the risk of being stranded away from home for another night. We even stopped along the way to snap a few pics of the scenery.
After riding past a sign advertising the Jack Dempsey Museum (located in downtown Manassas, CO), Dev asked me to hand him the map. So I did. He determined that his proposed route might not take us to Taos. We studied the map some more, then decided that our map of Colorado really needed some help from a map of New Mexico. But we also determined that in order to get into the right area of New Mexico, we needed to turn around and drive past the aforementioned Jack Dempsey Museum.
The sleepy little town of Manassas, CO doesn't really have a lot going for it. Apparently even the Jack Dempsey Museum is only open infrequently, like when the mood strikes. But there is a nifty statue of The Manassas Mauler in front of his museum. We didn't stop to take a pic, sorry.
Our new route sent us through another little town called San Luis, CO. This town is famous for it's Stations of the Cross Shrine. I was hoping it was also where we could find our map of New Mexico. Alas, that was not to be. The guy at the gas station said we should drive further south to the Shamrock gas station, and they'd surely have one. Of course, he also said if we drove even farther south, we'd run into Taos, which would eliminate the need for the map.
Dev was hungry, so he offered to buy us lunch at the little cafe across the street from the gas station. I believe the name of the place was the Rosa Mystica Cafe, or something like that. We walked in and the owner's grandchildren were running amuck through the restaurant. The harried grandparent immediately greeted us and asked if we would be having breakfast or lunch. She then seated us and brought us menus. I decided on half a panini sandwich (roasted turkey slathered with sun dried tomato pesto and some other green stuff I couldn't readily identify) and a decaf cafe au lait. Dev fell for the description of the green chili bowl special, and a grilled cheese.
My sandwich was great. It was grilled til it was crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. Dev's chili, on the other hand, was lethal. He ate the whole bowl like the brave soldier he is, but my gosh, one spoonful nearly killed me.
It was while we were eating our lunch that "Streetwalking Emma" came in the door. She is a local, I'm assuming. She and her mother came in and ordered coffee drinks. Emma also insisted that the harried grandparent/proprietor come and sit with them as they drank. Every so often, while Dev and I were quietly talking and making googly eyes at each other, Emma would shout a question over in our general direction. I felt obliged to answer them. Then, she would go back to frightening the owner's grandchildren. I should have described Emma's outfit at the get-go. She is about 50ish, maybe. But she looks older than she really is, I'm sure. Her ensemble included a non-descript top, black tights and hip-high black boots. Oh- and tons of make-up.
She and her mother finished their drinks just before Dev and I finished our lunch. Emma mentioned that she owned a restaurant down the street. But then she said we were too young and probably hadn't eaten there. I'm not sure what our age had to do with that, but then, what do I know?
As Emma and her mother left, she walked over and said in my ear, "Sorry, I'm a nosey bitch." Then they were gone.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Mimi,

just a note to thank you for identifying the restaurant in San Luis that I couldn't remember the name of! Some friends of mine from here (Port Townsend, WA) are on the road north of Walsenburg today on their way to Santa Fe and after talking to me this morning they decided to go to SF thru Taos by way of Fort Garland and San Luis. San Luis is a beautiful little town (and the oldest town in CO) and we ate at the Rosa Mystica the last time we were there - it was quite good although I'm told the other restaurant in SL is quite good as well! For future reference - the Dempsey museum in Manassas is quaint and interesting and is mostly closed, BUT if you go talk to Evelyn in the Town Hall across the street from the park she will let you in to the museum anytime! Good luck in your new life in Alamosa, you're lucky, it is quite beautiful there with friendly people and gorgeous scenery. There are plenty of outdoors things to do as well and if you get really bored take a trip over the mountains thru Redwing to Canon City, another beautiful little town that is close to Royal Gorge.

Popular Posts