Westward Ho!

The trip was relatively uneventful until day 2. We had decided to push on into Shamrock, TX. We found a hotel room and turned on the weather channel. The little people on the TV began talking about a winter storm that was sweeping through Amarillo, TX and parts of New Mexico. Sections of I-40 were already closing. We decided to sleep on it and figure out what to do in the morning. OK- that's not exactly what happened....I dissolved into tears and Devin did his best to calm me down. After a 20 minute crying jag I decided there was nothing I could do about it and fell asleep.
The next morning we got back in the truck and pushed on farther west on I-40. We got almost to Amarillo, thinking we had seen the worst of the storm. We made our exit onto highway 87 and began the final leg of our journey. We were 5 hours from our new home.
We stopped for lunch in a charming little hamlet just outside of Clayton, NM. It was a little country cooking place that looked warm. As I was eating my grilled cheese, I noticed it was starting to snow outside.
By the time we drove about 15 miles up the road and through Clayton, we observed a state patrol car blocking the road. The awfully nice (and very chilly looking) man told us the road was closed. We also found out every other road between us and Alamosa was iced over as well. After sitting in the truck ruminating over things, we decided to get a hotel and see what happened the next day.
It turns out that the other 382 people in front of and behind us had the same idea. The Super8 hotel was running out of rooms fast....

Comments

Popular Posts