Cookbook Review: The Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook

I know I said in an earlier post that I would develop a template for my cookbook reviews, but it is on the other computer and I'm too lazy to move my stuff to the other room. I spent the day administering standardized testing to a group of 6 year olds- gimme a break.

So this isn't a new cookbook. It was published in 1992. I have owned it since not long after it came out, but up until now, hadn't cooked a single recipe out of it. That would lead you to believe that I leafed through it all that long time ago, and didn't consider it worthy of my effort. But that would be wrong. I bet I never even cracked the cover, cuz if I had, I would have made the time to try some of these recipes.

But let's take a moment and consider this book from several angles...shall we?


The Cover...
It's a pleasant green color. And the photo on the front is pretty straightforward- it's a shot of Jeff Smith and the people who helped him write the book. This definitely doesn't qualify as a fancy coffee table book.


The Writing..
Mr. Smith started his professional career as a Methodist minister, so it is no surprise that this book comes off almost as more of a manual on how to get your family involved in cooking- thusly keeping them in communication- than it does a cookbook.

The Recipes...

But don't let the preachiness fool you- there are some really cool sounding things in here. For instance, here is a small sampling of the recipes with post-it tags on them....

Chicken Thighs in Yogurt and Onions
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Red Potato Salad with Bacon
Rice Salad
Orzo Salad with Pesto Mayonnaise
Asparagus and Mortadella Salad
Seafood in Saffron Cream Sauce

I could go on quite a bit longer. I am making the Chicken Thighs in Yogurt and Onions for dinner tonight. So far it is very simple and smells outrageous in the oven.
These aren't the type of recipes you would cook to impress your boss (although there are a few in there that would lend themselves well to that purpose), but for everyday life and potlucks- it's a goldmine.



Cute, huh? Dev posed the shot, thinking I wouldn't actually take the picture, much less use it on the blog. It's not the first time he's been wrong about something like that... :)

Considering the fact that this book was a gift (from my ex-husband)- would I buy it if it hadn't been given to me? Back in 1992? Probably not. If I came across it in a bookstore on a rainy afternoon and took the time to flip through it? Most Definitely.

Comments

Popular Posts