TV Chef Pioneers- Take 2- Nathalie Dupree

Nathalie DuPree is an interesting woman. I really didn't know much about her until I started doing a little research for this post. I would have loved to include an image of her here, but everything I found on google looked like it was copyrighted, and I don't want anyone getting mad at me....

My earliest memories of watching cooking shows are of Nathalie DuPree. I remember watching her making biscuits (mixing them by hand) while wearing a huge honking diamond ring. My mom always commented about how much abuse that ring took. I also remember how completely messy Ms. DuPree was in the kitchen. There was always flour flying everywhere, or things slurping over the sides of pots while she chattered away. My dad always said she looked like she had had too many glasses of wine before the camera started rolling. My mom took to calling her "Nasty Nathalie." I thought it was all great fun.

I found a really cool article that kind of sums up Nathalie DuPree's philosophy of life and a little about her background. If you want to learn more, go here.

I don't own any of her cookbooks, but I found a yummie sounding recipe of hers on the internet. Hopefully I will have time to make it in the next few days so I can share it with you.

I hope you will take some time to do your own research and learn more about this quintessentially southern lady. In these days of Paula Deen culture, it was nice to go back and learn about the original celebrity southern cook.

Comments

Popular Posts